Footsteps That Convert Kinetic Energy Into Electricity

A technology based on novel designed tiles with recycled materials, presented in Madrid, converts the kinetic energy of footsteps in renewable energy, with an efficiency exceeding forty times solar, according to its leaders.

The project, called Pavegen and reporting agency Efe, has been preferred by the citizens of several countries including Spain, as part of the “Keep Walking”, driven by Johnnie Walker to inspire the public to contribute the future of communities through pioneering initiatives.

According to its creators, these tiles would be ideal to illuminate the pavement around monuments like the Cibeles or other landmark buildings, much visited by tourists and therefore with many steps.

5% of the energy generated with this technology illuminates the tile itself while the remaining 95% is stored in batteries of little size, as traditional batteries, and is used for applications not connected to the mains, as the lighting of lamps , signage and advertising solutions, says the engineer responsible for the project, the British Laurence Kemball.

According to Kemball, if one of these tiles collect the energy of all the steps in the world in one day, could generate enough electricity to light 25,000 homes a year. In fact, tile installation exhibited in Madrid has worked with the energy stored in the recent footsteps of hundreds of people in Bulgaria, where this technology was introduced prior to Spain.

Kemball explained that these tiles are resistant to the passage of heavy vehicles and adverse weather such as snow or rain, and “no slip”. As for commercial application is pending agreements with companies and governments, he added.

The tiles are provided with a central fixture is what shines with footsteps and have a top coat of one hundred percent recycled rubber, making them adaptable to all soil types.

The installation exhibited in Madrid, with a sample of twelve of these tiles, will be open until 29 March at the Telefónica building of the street 28, so that anyone who approaches you can jump and can thus illuminate the ground with their footsteps.